The RSM is home to one of the largest medical libraries in Europe. Its impressive collection dates from to 15th century and includes over half a million volumes, as well as portraits, photographs manuscripts and an extraordinary archive collection.
The Friends of the Library scheme makes an important contribution to the Library’s conservation programme, which ensures the preservation of our historic collection.
As a Friend, you will enjoy the following benefits:
- A bi-annual Friends of the Library email, with news about the Library’s exhibitions, conservation activities, digitisation plans and fundraising initiatives
- Behind-the-scenes tours of the Library and its collections
- Access to conservation open days where you can see our volunteers at work
- Private viewings of our exhibitions, led by the curator
- Opportunities to view rare books, archives and exhibits not on display to the public, including the Withering letters, Diamond Collection and letters from eminent figures like Charles Darwin, Edward Jenner and Sigmund Freud
- A gift set of six botanical postcards with illustrations from the beautiful ‘A Curious Herbal’ volumes by Elizabeth Blackwell (1737-1739)
Become a Friend of the Library
If you are an RSM member, you can add Friends of the Library to your membership subscription. To arrange this please contact the Customer Services team on 020 7290 2991.
Not a member of the RSM? You can still become a Friend! Please contact the Library to arrange this by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 020 7290 2940.