The RSM has an extensive digital learning and online e-resources platform. As a member you'll enjoy free access to a wealth of online resources, including 5,000 subscription and open access e-journals, 2,000 e-books and 5 key medical databases, to support your clinical decision-making and research.
- Date and time Fri 1 Jul 2022 from 9:00am to 5:00pm
- Location Online
- Organised by Pain Medicine
This unique event brings together experts in diverse fields to identify how we can help patients prepare prior to surgery and ensure a less painful postoperative journey.
There are limited free bursary places available to students, AHPs, and nurses on a first come, first served basis. To claim your free place, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our multidisciplinary speakers will review the evidence as to whether changes in our diet, sleep, exercise regimen, pain medication, psychological preparation, and managing our expectations can promote better outcomes.
During this session, attendees will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of pain prehabilitation prior to surgery
- Appreciate why sleep is important and how lack of sleep can affect pain
- Understand how pain medications can interfere with sleep
- Understand how anxiety, depression and catastrophising can affect the level of pain that we experience
- Know how best to manage the patient’s expectations of pain after surgery
- Understand how the gut microbiome affects pain and are there changes that can be made to our diet prior to surgery
- Understand the ways in which physical preparation and help to improve pain after surgery
- Demonstrate an understanding of how opioids can adversely affect pain management and why we may need to decrease them prior to surgery
- Understand the evidence for pre-emptive analgesia and what should be avoided
Want to attend in-person at the RSM? Click here to book your place.
Join in the conversation online
Follow us on Twitter: @RoySocMed
|RSM Fellow||RSM Associate||RSM Retired Fellow||RSM Trainee||RSM Student|
Non - Member
|Consultant / GP||AHP / Nurse / Midwife||Non Healthcare Professional||Trainee||Student|
View the programme
Disclaimer: All views expressed in this webinar are of the speakers themselves and not of the RSM nor the speaker's organisations.
Special rates for difficult times
The RSM wishes to offer healthcare professionals continued learning opportunities during the coronavirus pandemic. The RSM’s weekly COVID-19 Series webinars remain free of charge, while there will be small charges to register for other online education. These fees will enable the RSM to continue its programme of activities and will apply during the course of the pandemic.