The Society was established in 1805 as The Medical and Chirurgical Society of London, meeting in two rooms in barristers’ chambers at Gray’s Inn and then moving to Lincoln’s Inn Fields where it stayed for 25 years. In 1834 the Society moved to Berners Street and was granted a Royal Charter by King William IV.
In 1905, under the leadership of Sir John MacAlister, the Society moved to 20 Hanover Square where the centenary was celebrated. Two years later the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society of London came together with seventeen specialist medical societies and, with a supplementary Royal Charter granted by Edward VII, became the Royal Society of Medicine.
In 1910 the Society acquired the site on the corner of Wimpole Street and Henrietta Place, which was opened by King George V and Queen Mary in May 1912.
Famous Honorary Fellows
Honorary Fellows of the Royal Medical and Chirurgical Society of London include:
Presidents of note
Former Presidents include five with diseases named after them:
See below for more about the history of the RSM.