Council Member (Trustee) Job description
Location: London / remotely
The Royal Society of Medicine (RSM) is a charity whose mission is to share learning and support innovation across all areas of healthcare. We are a leading provider of continual learning for healthcare professionals and a membership organisation. There are four key pillars of our work. These are:
Education: delivering technical, non-technical and multidisciplinary education;
Learning Resources: providing excellent medical resources (physical, e-resources and e-learning);
Convening: connecting those involved in and interested in healthcare; and
Innovation: supporting innovators by leveraging expertise across the RSM.
We are governed by our Council which is responsible for our strategic direction, financial health, the probity of our activities and for developing our aims, objectives and goals in accordance with our Royal Charter and legal and regulatory guidelines. The Council is chaired by the President and all Members of Council are Charity Trustees and have the responsibilities as set out in the Charities Act 2011.
Key responsibilities of Council Members include:
- To contribute actively to the development of strategy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against these;
- To ensure compliance with governing documents and the Law;
- To safeguard the good name and values of the RSM;
- To ensure effective and efficient administration of activities;
- To ensure financial stability;
- To identify, understand and ensure the appropriate management of risks to the RSM;
- To protect and manage the property of the RSM and to ensure the proper investment of funds; and
- To agree the appointment of the Chief Executive
Time commitment and location
- Council meets four times a year, with other ad hoc meetings as required;
- Council Members will also be expected to sit on at least two Committees of Council and such other working groups as may be necessary; and
- All meetings will be held at the organisation’s premises at 1 Wimpole Street, London W1G 0AE or by videoconference.
How to apply
All nominations must be submitted on the application form below. Completed forms, which should not exceed three A4 pages, may be sent in electronic format and must contain all required signatures.
We recognise that it can sometimes be difficult to obtain signatures from colleagues, therefore we can accept e-signatures, or signatures on a separate completed form. Please note that emails supporting colleagues are NOT acceptable and any applications without signatures will not be accepted.
Completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com by 12 noon, Wednesday 24 March 2021.