Marketing Manager (FTC 24 months) Job description
Contract: FTC 24 months
Salary: up to £35,000 depending on experience
35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
The Royal Society of Medicine (RSM) is a leading provider of high-quality continuing postgraduate education and learning to the medical profession. Its mission is to advance health, through education and innovation. Independent and apolitical, the RSM also aims to actively encourage and support those who are entering medicine and healthcare.
The role delivers income to the business through acquiring new members, ensuring that members make use of their benefits and maximising the volume of delegates booking on to education programmes. As part of this role you will also manage a small team of Marketing Executives and hold budget responsibility for membership income and expenditure.
- Senior Managers and Heads of Departments working to ensure that business objectives are being achieved.
- RSM Education teams (Programme Managers) working to ensure that the events are marketed in a timely manner with up-to-date information by the Marketing Executive team.
- Work with a combination of other teams to promote membership – usually senior people in areas such as the Library, Club and Membership teams.
- Liaise with other colleagues to assist in developing the comms – for example designers, website digital manager and colleagues in the RSM communications and sponsorship teams.
- Marketing Manager will work with volunteers who work on Section Councils, who are usually senior medical professionals responsible for creating & putting the education event content together (known as Meeting Organisers).
- They may also liaise with people on Section Councils to help inform and report on marketing activity and performance.
- They will also develop and nurture relationships with external organisations and suppliers to help promote our educational conferences, and sales of memberships.
- Responsible for budgeting, planning, execution and reporting of customer acquisition strategies across all recruitment channels for new member acquisition and to maximise income for the RSM across its products and services.
- Work to identify potential third party organisations for partnership membership offers and launch these with these membership groups.
- Analyse user journeys across all channels to optimise conversion (particularly from web registrants) and increase the efficiency of campaigns to improve ROI.
- To meet net income and membership targets and contribute to the achievement of the annual overall departmental budget.
- Work with Engagement Director and the Head of Membership & Marketing to review and develop new membership strategies, potentially includes undertaking market research campaigns to inform strategy and activity development.
- To line manage Marketing Executive team working on promotion of RSM meetings, conferences and other events.
- Directly manage a small team of Marketing Executives who report into this position.
- Oversee brand synergy of all RSM communications in conjunction with RSM designers.
- Maintain communication and good working relationships with internal departments and external partners and agencies to optimise performance across all marketing activity.
- As required to support other RSM departments with marketing their services.
Qualification: Have a marketing-related degree and relevant experience in a management position.
Experienced: Working within a marketing team, managing staff and holding a position where responsible for the successful undertaking of direct and digital marketing campaigns. Experience of successful customer acquisition strategies essential.
Financially Aware: Experienced in preparing budgets & providing in depth analysis of campaign profitability.
Data-Driven: Understand and enjoy analysis and manipulation of data to drive effective campaigning both online and offline. Able to demonstrate experience in purchasing data for campaigns and mining internal data sources.
Action Orientated: Focused on delivering timely, cost effective and responsive campaigns and then reporting back on results achieved with recommendation on improvements going forward.
Creativity: Ability to consider potential solutions to meet objectives. Also experienced in briefing designers/agencies for specific campaigns and reviewing objectively the suggested designs/copy. Where not met – confidence in briefing required when recommending alternative solutions.
Excellent Communication Skills: Both written and verbal for a variety of audiences form fellow members of society and senior staff within the society through to designers and other members of the team. Some copywriting will be required in this role.
Organised: Able to organise and prioritise multiple projects to ensure that deadlines are met and timing plans developed at an early stage to identify any potential delivery problems.
Mature & Flexible: Good listening skills and ability to undertake work in a professional manner and manage all staff that directly report into you. You will need to demonstrate the ability to be flexible as campaign priorities change and your ability to react positively to the changes.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position please contact Gavin Berkerey at Gavin.Berkerey@rsm.ac.uk with a CV attachment no later than the 30 August 2021.
The Society is committed to the safeguarding and fair processing of information received from candidates applying for opportunities within it and fully complies with the spirit and regulations of the GDPR. For a full statement about the type of data that the Society keeps about job applicants and the purposes for which it is kept, please read our fair processing notice for job applicants.