Marketing Executive Job description
12 month fixed term contract
Salary: up to £28,000 per annum
35 hours per week
The Royal Society of Medicine is a charity and one of the leading providers of postgraduate medical education. Every year the RSM runs hundreds of events and webinars spanning 55 medical specialties which are attended by doctors, professions allied to medicine and students.
Each medical specialty is overseen by a Section Council who are in turn responsible for organising the education content of a meeting. Each Section Council is managed by an Event Programme Manage. Event Executives manage and coordinate the event logistics. Some meetings may have a marketing budget and it will be the Marketing Executive’s responsibility to recommend and manage how best to utilise the budget spend.
The Marketing Executive will be responsible for ensuring meetings meet (or exceed) their delegate targets in terms of numbers attending and income generated. They will also promote membership benefits to RSM members to ensure that our members make use of and renew their membership.
You will be responsible for preparing the marketing material to include writing compelling copy, create and test creative, identifying the key target audiences, scheduling and ensuring marketing is delivered on time and identifying routes for external marketing for a wider reach.
The primary role of the Marketing Executive will be to promote the RSM’s annual academic programme of events and webinars and generate bookings. The role will also require promotion of membership to prospects, and membership benefits, to the RSM members.
The Marketing Executive will work to:
- Develop appropriate marketing plans for online and in-person meetings and conferences
- Ensure RSM events and conferences are marketed effectively through a combination of marketing channels to meet/exceed delegate targets
- Deliver plans to promote the RSM membership products to prospects
- Promote various membership benefits to RSM members
- Identify new target audiences and channels to reach prospective delegates on; research and target other organisations who can help promote our programme
- Increase online conversion rates
- Increase revenue to the RSM
- Report on campaign performance – sharing results and recommending ways to improve future performance
- The Marketing Executive will work closely with the RSM’s Education Department – a team of event organisers responsible for the RSM’s academic programme.
- Within the Marketing function, you will work alongside Corporate designers, Social Media Executive and Web Manager.
- The RSM’s Dean is a medically qualified individual (our in-house expert) who oversee the RSM’s academic programme. There will be interaction with him for seeking guidance/clarification on copy produced to ensure that it is correct from a medical perspective.
- There will be an expectation that the post holder will forge relationships with other medical associations, Royal Colleges and/or other companies who may assist with advertising meetings and membership.
- Whilst much of the work will have a digital focus, there will be some interaction with printers, mailing and fulfilment companies; sales staff from medical journals; other conference providers/medical institutions.
- There will also be communication with RSM Section Council members (RSM members who are responsible for the educational content of meetings), event speakers and delegates of meetings.
- Implementation of marketing campaigns to promote education content & membership
- Improved targeting – identifying the key audiences and marketing channel opportunities
- Copywriting – ensuring copy is motivating, concise, factual and focuses on the key information
- Improving engagement rates and online conversions
- Manage the email communications schedule; identifying opportunities for email automation and/or streamlining processes to reduce the volume of emails received by members/delegates and other prospects
- Data selection and email broadcast
- Create event pages and partner landing pages (CMS)
- Monthly reporting & analysis on marketing activity
- Development of appropriate marketing materials online and offline
- External research/marketing opportunities
- Management of cross-promotion agreements
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Experience in using email marketing software (RSM currently uses Click Dimensions) is essential. Including data selection, A/B testing, using dynamic content, creating automated/trigger campaigns and reporting
- Strong writing skills, with experience of writing copy for email, along with a good eye for detail
- Experience of using a CRM – querying and extracting relevant information
- Experience using a CMS – the RSM uses Umbraco, but any CMS will be considered
- Confident building multiple relationships across organisations – both externally and internally; speaking to people rather than relying on email
- Marketing qualification – degree or professional qualification
- Although experience of using email marketing software is essential, the ability to write HTML is not (the RSM has x2 Designers in place). Basic knowledge of HTML would be useful but not essential
- Previous experience of working in a membership organisation or in a healthcare background may be advantageous
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position please contact Roberta Bastos at Roberta.Bastos@rsm.ac.uk with a CV attachment no later than 1 June 2021.
The Society is committed to the safeguarding and fair processing of information received from candidates applying for opportunities within it and fully complies with the spirit and regulations of the GDPR. For a full statement about the type of data that the Society keeps about job applicants and the purposes for which it is kept, please read our fair processing notice for job applicants page.