Health and Safety Manager Job description
Salary: About £35,000 depending on experience
32 hours per week, normally Monday to Friday, with some early starts/late finishes, occasional weekend working as required
Based at 1 Wimpole Street
A new vacancy has arisen within the RSM for a part time Health and Safety Manager, based within Commercial Services, reporting directly to the Director of Operations and working with our CEO on related projects as required.
This is a critical role to the RSM and its key purpose is act as the RSM wide Health and Safety Officer and as part of this support, offer expert advice and empower, engage managers and staff in creating and maintaining a safe working environment at all times for all visitors and staff and ensuring compliance with health and safety regulations.
The key activities of the role holder will include:
- Working with the CEO on H&S Policy and management thereof throughout the organisation
- Acting as a deputy safeguarding lead for the RSM including assisting with launch and rolled out of policy and training
- Providing advice, guidance and recommendations to the business to ensure a COVID-19 secure environment and keeping abreast of and ensuring appropriate changes to government COVID-19 related restrictions and safety related requirements are implemented
- Ongoing development of and delivery of return to work Inductions for post COVID-19 returns to on site working and new starter safety related inductions
- Maintaining and auditing Risk Assessments (RA) across the business
- Providing advice and guidance to ensure the safety of home workers, including undertaking home visits to staff working at home to audit workstation set up/facilities, fully participating in the RSM’s Future Working Group
- Where necessary, facilitating (via managers and heads of departments) the creation and development of risk assessments and SSOW (System of Work) procedures across the organisation
- Reviewing RA’s and SSOW in line with departmental activities and employee training record cards and advising departmental directors of any necessary corrective actions required
- Constantly reviewing the Health & Safety committee purpose and representatives to ensure it is a ‘working’ committee and remains relevant in managing the safety of RSM staff and visitors and recommending changes to Director of Operations as needed
- Attending and fully participating in Health & Safety meetings quarterly and following up on any actions required from them
- Attending and participating within the RSM’s Wellbeing Steering Committee
- Assisting in ensuring our BCP plan is up to date and in BCP related planning and dry runs
- Maintaining and managing the ‘Shield Yourself’ system
- Performing Health & Safety audits as scheduled
- Ensuring the Health & Safety policy document is current and compliant
- Reviewing, updating the FSMS, risk assessment and policy documents to ensure current and compliant
- Scheduling and overseeing practice fire evacuation drills at least twice per annum and taking steps to implement any corrective actions if required. Auditing and restocking emergency evacuation items
- In conjunction with departmental Directors arranging suitable and sufficient Fire wardens for the business, and their subsequent training
- Reviewing fire warden and first aider duty documents and amending where necessary. Organising, purchasing and accounting for First Aid Supplies, or PPE if required to do so
- Advising Society employees on Health &Safety matters and best practice when required to do so
- Controlling and organising First Aid Training, Fire warden training, manual handling training and refreshers when required maintaining a register of trained staff
- Managing insurance inspections for any items as requested by the insurance company
To be considered for the role you will:
- Have achieved as a minimum IOSH Managing Safely however, preference will be given to candidates who have in addition, achieved NEEBOSH level qualifications.
- Be able to demonstrate proven significant experience of reviewing, implementing and auditing company-wide health and safety policies and practices.
- Have significant experience of complying with Health and Safety responsibilities within a commercial environment including COVID-19 related restrictions/requirements.
- Have experience of undertaking and advising others on how to undertake risk assessments
- Have strong people skills, be able to influence and communicate at all levels, be a pro-active self-starter with strong attention to detail and analytical skills
- An excellent knowledge of the legislation associated with safety management
- Be able to demonstrate the following competencies: flexibility/adaptability, team-working, commercial focus, pro-activity, influencing, attention to detail
How to apply
To apply for the above opportunity please forward a CV and covering letter to Nigel Collett at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 19 February 2021.
The Society is committed to the safeguarding and fair processing of information received from candidates applying for opportunities within it and fully complies with the spirit and regulations of the GDPR. For a full statement about the type of data that the Society keeps about job applicants and the purposes for which it is kept, please visit our website by clicking here.