Event Executive Job description
Contract: 12 months fixed term
Flexible working, with some evenings and early starts. A mixture of office (central London) and home working is anticipated with this role
The Royal Society of Medicine is one of the UK’s leading providers of continuing learning in healthcare. Our vision is ‘better healthcare for better lives’. We aim to achieve this by sharing learning and supporting innovation on the science, practice and organisation of medicine.
As a registered charity and membership organisation with a global network of 20,000 members, we bring together healthcare professionals across specialties. We offer a range of membership options for every career stage, from students to retirement.
We deliver multidisciplinary, specialist and general education, as well as professional development, drawing on the support of leading experts in over 50 specialist areas of medicine.
Our learning resources span a wide collection of books, journals, digital journals and online medical databases. We are home to one of the finest physical and digital medical libraries in the world. We connect those involved and interested in healthcare and, by leveraging expertise from across the RSM, we support, help and inspire the innovators developing the medical products and services of tomorrow.
Overall Job Purpose
The Event Executive is part of the RSM Events team and provides co-ordination, forward planning, budget management and logistical support to RSM educational delivery.
Event Executives are expected to be professional and proactive, applying customer-focused processes to enhance event procedures and take a high level of ownership for the events for which they are responsible. This role supports and provides guidance to Section Councils/Education Programme Managers in the forward planning and running of in person events as well as webinars and complying with agreed Service Level Agreements (SLA).
In general, an Event Executive will run at least 30 meetings p.a for a vast variety of sections.
Key tasks & responsibilities
- Attend kick off meetings with key stakeholders and Education Programme Managers to finalise logistics to enable a handover of an event brief and programme, once handed over, Event Executives are responsible for the delivery and continued planning of the event
- Work in close liaison with meeting organisers in the development and delivery of the event
- Highlight opportunities for innovation, creative approaches and the use of technology to support events and make them more engaging
- Produce an event SLA for Education Programme Managers and Education Event Team Manager to approve and ensure SLA is adhered to throughout event planning
- Proposes budgets for allocated events and monitor financials throughout event planning stages to achieve and where possible exceed targets – highlighting concerns where appropriate
- Set RSM Events up on the CRM system
- Upload event programme to website following brand guidelines and house style
- Attend regular event planning meetings, section council meetings where required
- For webinars, following our in-person processes, there is a requirement to set up the Zoom platform to hold the webinar on, along with attendance at the test webinars with the AV team and availability on the day of webinars to ensure the smooth running of the event
- Work with and provide event information to RSM marketing and communication teams for the promotion of the event and circulate promotional materials to speakers and council
- Apply for Continuous Professional Development (CPD) approval through the Dean of the RSM
- Manage all operational aspects of coordinating event, collaborating with other RSM departments such as catering, audio visual and internal operations team
- Where applicable with out of house events support venue finding, contract negotiation and manage operations with external venue
- Work with the Customer Service team to ensure they know about events to enable them to answer delegate questions and provide and excellent customer service
- Work with the Sponsor team to brief targets and ensure sponsor agreements are fulfilled as per contract.
- Assure effective liaison with speakers, and organise travel and accommodation, where required, invite people to speak at events and manage responses working closely with Education Programme Managers
- Work with members of the Customer Service team to ensure organisation and collation of delegate packs and other event resources in preparation for the event
- Attend the event, creating a strong presence on the day ensuring speakers, sponsors and meeting organiser are fully supported
- Be the first point of contact on the day for delegate queries ensuring excellent customer service is given
- Manage feedback from delegates to evaluate the event
- Chase and close down finances, ensuring all post event financial reporting is accurate
- Attend post event wash up meetings where required
Educational Department Support
- Support prize management according to the Section/RSM regulations
- Support Education Programme Managers with planning the event year and preparing annual budgets and reforecasting figures
- Develop cooperative relationships with Sections and external partners when planning and executing events
- Fully participate in projects that enhance educational development as required by the Education Programme Managers and Education Event Team Manager offering new ideas and innovations
- Manage external relations with stakeholders and partner organisations in the development of education and training
- Attend team meetings where required with Education Event Team Manager and contribute as required
- Support Senior Events Executives with inducting and training new starters in liaison with Education Event Team Manager
- Support with any additional areas not specified which are linked with the role
- Collaborate as an event team and support colleagues with absences and peaks and troughs of workload
- The post holder must at all times when conducting responsibilities and interacting with others:
- Uphold the vision, mission and values of the RSM
- Support effective communication and consistent management of RSM policies and procedures throughout the organisation
- Adhere to the Society’s Health and Safety regulations and ensure the safety of oneself and others engaged in the RSM premises and work by reporting hazards to a senior manager for address or taking actions (where possible) to remove safety hazards
- Adhere to the Society’s Data Protection regulations and only use data as required to undertake their role and handle it in an appropriate and confidential manner
- Fully subscribe to the spirit of and adhere to the Society’s people policies in particular the Discrimination, Bullying, Harassment, Victimisation policies
Qualification, Knowledge and skills
- Educated to degree level
- Minimum 2 years’ experience within a busy events team, ideally with some in person and digital events experience
- Fluent in written and spoken English to professional business standards
- Proven effective experience of coordination and running of events (ideally CPD/Medical)
- Experience of production of management reports including financial
- Experience of drafting budgets and monitoring and keeping expenditure to within budgets
- Experience of recommending improvements to services
- Ability to complete detailed work accurately
- Experience of using a computer database and CRM functionality
- Competence in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Experience of working with stakeholders of varying seniority
- Communication - Good communication skills and the ability to liaise with staff at all levels
- Planning and organising - Capable of prioritising and organising own workload, able to work under own initiative and balance peaks and troughs of work
- Team work - Experience of working within project teams
- Reliable - with a conscientious attitude to work
- Adaptability - Ability to work flexibly and adapt to a changing environment
- Pro-activity - Proactive/ resourceful and shows initiative
- Detail - good attention to detail
- Assertiveness - A pleasant disposition displaying tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive or contentious issues, assertive and confident
- Customer service - Well-developed Customer service skills, professional and helpful approach to answering queries
To apply for the above opportunity please forward a CV and covering letter to email@example.com no later than 12.00, noon, 27 March 2023 quoting reference: RSM005
The RSM is committed to equal opportunities for all our applicants and we will not discriminate in regard to protected characteristics including age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race (which includes colour, nationality and ethnic or national origins), religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. We will not discriminate because of any other irrelevant factor and will build a culture that values meritocracy, openness, fairness and transparency.
The RSM is also committed to the safeguarding and fair processing of information received from candidates applying for positions and fully complies with the spirit and regulations of the GDPR. For a full statement about the type of data that the RSM keeps about job applicants and the purposes for which it is kept, please read our fair processing notice for job applicants for more information.