Venue Sales and Event Planner Job description
Salary: from £27000 depending on experience
Based at 1 Wimpole Street
The Royal Society of Medicine (RSM) is a charity providing an extensive programme of meetings for doctors and other professionals allied to medicine. The RSM is based in central London, just behind Oxford Street. The Society offers good benefits to staff and a friendly working environment.
Job purpose and scope
- To professionally sell the service and facilities at the RSM’s venues Chandos House and 1 Wimpole Street
- To work with existing clients to develop further business via account penetration.
- To maximise the conversion rate from enquiry status to contracted event
- To work effectively within the Events team to ensure that all meetings and events planned by the events office are properly organised and efficiently run. Key duties and responsibilities
- Work in Rendezvous (RDZ) to enter new business enquiries that you receive (meetings and events at One Wimpole Street and Chandos House)
- Respond to enquiries received by phone, email or in person within 2 hours and follow-up these enquiries within 3 working days i.e. efficient administration of the business leads
- Arrange site visits for every new client gained and conducting subsequent show rounds
- To ensure that clients receive full attention to detail throughout the event including regularly updating the Booking Confirmation in RDZ with accurate details and information for both the client and the service providers
- Inform guests of constraints of both of the buildings and environments i.e. licenses and noise restrictions etc. at the earliest opportunity
- Discuss with prospective clients their catering and audio visual requirements with confidence and recommendation on food and wine matches
- Contract clients with Terms and Conditions and set out deposit structure (if appropriate) at earliest opportunity
- Up-sell philosophy at all stages including low cost add-ons, added value items and suggesting exclusive use of Chandos House where appropriate
- Effective diary management at all times including regular follow-up on tentative enquiries to ensure conversion or account penetration for a future event
- Work closely with the Academic and other internal departments to ensure their bookings are correctly placed in the diary within the agreed guidelines
- To ensure the smooth running of events on the day of the event, working with the Operational Managers when required.
- Effective follow-up after each event to secure future bookings, including sending the client survey for feedback which we can react to individually
- Assist in printing and distributing the weekly function sheets for the operational staff and chefs
- Support the Deputy Manager with paperwork and adverts for the Members Services and Social events such as the annual RSM Carol Concert etc.
- Proficient use of the Sales Lead module in RDZ (as per the standard operating procedure), including effective lead follow up and strategic account management.
- Be available for the daily 10@10 meetings (as per the Standard Operating Procedure) and host 1 per week, ensuring that all relevant data is available at the appropriate time.
- Regular follow-up calls to client for account penetration and strategic account management
- Regular competitor research and benchmarking
- Attend and contribute to Senior Executive meetings and team meetings where required with Head of Events, taking forward action points and project work where required General
- Use your best endeavours to ensure all information on the booking sheets are 100% accurate before circulating to clients and in-house service providers
- To be available for the week sheet meetings with the operational, chefs and av teams.
- Ensure that all correspondence is correctly stored within RDZ within departmental time frames, to ensure that complete information on each event is always readily available.
- To attend the regular Sales & Marketing meetings organised by the Business Development Manager, Marketing Manager, the Head of Venue Sales and Marketing and or the Director of Support Services.
- Produce function menus/place cards/seating plans where applicable
- Support all members of the Events Team at 1 Wimpole Street and Chandos House as and when necessary at the request of the Events Office Manager.
- To undertake reasonable requests and any additional tasks required by the Venue Sales and Diary Manager, Head of Venue Sales and Marketing or Director of Support Services
- The list of duties above is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. There will be other duties and requirements associated with your position and you may be required to undertake such duties as may be reasonably required of you.
- Proven experience in a commercial sales environment
- Proven track record in event planning within a medium-sized venue
- Demonstrable success in face-to-face negotiation
- Professional client administration
- Sales and negotiation skills
- Exceptional organisation skills with attention to every detail
- Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure
- Degree in event management or proven experience in a conference sales environment
- Good product knowledge – room layout possibilities, food, wines etc.
How to apply
To apply for the above opportunity please forward a CV and covering letter to Karen Kay at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 1st November 2019.
The Society is committed to the safeguarding and fair processing of information received from candidates applying for opportunities within it and fully complies with the spirit and regulations of the GDPR. For a full statement about the type of data that the Society keeps about job applicants and the purposes for which it is kept, please read our fair processing notice for job applicants.