Event and Project Manager Job description
Salary up to £33,000 depending on experience
35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Based at 1 Wimpole Street
Overall Job Purpose
Joining the Royal Society of Medicine’s new Learning Division, the Event and Project Manager will lead the scoping, planning and delivery of a programme of non-speciality events. Reporting to the Head of Content, they will work with colleagues across the RSM’s Learning and Support Services teams, leading on the project management and programme lifecycle of high profile events, training and learning opportunities. Their delivery will support the RSM Education Strategy which aims to modernise the content, delivery and scope of the RSM’s learning programme. Read the education strategy.
The Event Manager will take the lead on the project management of a programme of events and training from conception, through delivery, to evaluation and feedback. They will be responsible for scoping the content of these events through hands-on programme development, working with the content team and external SMEs. The slate of these events and educational projects is rapidly evolving, alongside the core medical speciality-based events (350+) that the RSM delivers every year. They will work with the many medical experts within the RSM’s reach to create educational content that delivers measurable benefits for the RSM’s audience.
Key aspects of the role are: managing the delivery of a programme of work (end-to-end), forward planning and supporting the business development of new types of events, responsibility for the budget management and logistical delivery of educational events, as well as liaising with high-profile partners, collaborators and clients outside of the RSM. The Event and Project Manager will also manage and coach the Event and Project Executive and assist in resolving complex problems, influencing and collaborating across departmental lines in the RSM.
This role would suit an experience and confident event professional with experience of successfully delivering a programme of complex and challenging events for an education or professional audience. The ability to manage multiple, multi-stakeholder projects simultaneously, with an agile approach, is an essential requirement of the role.
Key Result Areas
Programme and Project Management
- Responsible for developing a programme management approach to a slate of new projects to support delivery of the Education strategy for the division
- Lead the development of project plans, including developing detailed plans for project delivery, ensuring allocating correct resources and availability thereof, and the ultimate delivery of the project on time and on budget
- Creation of the strategic plan, including deciding outcomes and impact measurement of educational programmes and events
- Research into additional contacts and organisations with whom to collaborate on the successful execution and profile raising of specific events and programmes
- Ongoing management of and coordination with high profile third party clients and contacts to ensure success of projects
- Market and content research to benchmark impact for events/programmes
- Leading on project management methodology and best practice for the whole of RSM Learning and disseminating this to colleagues in a learning environment.
Event Planning and Content Development
- Close liaison with external meeting organisers in the development and delivery of events, training and learning experiences; leading on planning from ideation stage
- Proactive content development of individual events, working with the Content Manager to develop best-practice, customised programmes for clients
- Find opportunities for innovation, and the use of technology and digital media to improve engagement with events
- Produce an event SLA and ensure adhered to throughout event planning, develop new Standard Operating Procedures as required
- Manage budgets for individual events and the programme, to achieve/exceed targets and increase profitability, manage financial reporting to management and forward planning of the programme
- Collaboration, support and guidance to the RSM’s volunteer Speciality councils and their in-house relationship managers in the forward planning and running of special events and educational projects.
Event and Project Delivery
- Oversight of all operational aspects of delivering events, collaborating with other RSM departments such as catering, audio visual and the internal operations team
- Work collaboratively with the Speciality events team, learning from and sharing best practice across the teams
- Where applicable, for out of house events, lead on venue selection, contract negotiation and manage operations with external venue
- Set financial targets and other measures of success, set up appropriate evaluation mechanisms to ensure each project reaches goals and lessons learnt are built in to forward programme
- Work with marketing colleagues to develop the marketing plan for each event, leading outreach to relevant external organisations and contacts to develop our market reach
- Ensure financial reporting is accurate, timely and clearly communicated to senior management.
- Line manage the Event and Project Executive and supervise their workload
- Provide direction, support and coaching to direct report(s) including regular check-in meetings and performance reviews to ensure objectives and targets are met, as well as discuss development plans
- To adhere to policies and procedures to meet legal and moral obligations in respect of Charity Commission requirements.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Degree level qualification or equivalent experience
- Demonstrable experience of creating, delivering and improving a programme of events/educational projects
- Track record of complex, multi-stakeholder project management, ideally with project management qualifications/training
- Extensive experience of programme/content development and speaker management
- Experience of leading matrix teams to deliver on projects
- Relationship building skills and experience of stakeholder management of high profile stakeholders/external organisations
- Budget management and financial reporting experience
- Experience of supervising others’ work and preferably of line managing staff, including performance management and coaching
- Customer and market research experience; can assess whether a new event or training opportunity is viable for the organisation
- Experience of delivering events or learning experiences online is highly desirable
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; must be able to confidently approach and engage with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Understanding of the health care sector, and ideally learning theory
To apply for the above opportunity please forward a CV and covering letter to Rebecca Casey at email@example.com by no later than the 20th March 2019.
The Society is committed to the safeguarding and fair processing of information received from candidates applying for opportunities within it and fully complies with the spirit and regulations of the GDPR. For a full statement about the type of data that the Society keeps about job applicants and the purposes for which it is kept, please visit our website by clicking here.